No one should ever have to suffer the consequences of another person’s negligent action. Unfortunately, a considerable number of car accidents in Connecticut are caused by reckless drivers. While we hope you never find yourself involved in a car crash, here are the seven mistakes to avoid.
- Don’t forget to seek legal assistance. Hiring an injury lawyer doesn’t involve an upfront fee. You should contact an attorney today and not later. The sooner you have a legal expert, the faster you can expect to work on your claim. Also, the lawyer will have more time to gather details.
- Don’t flee the scene. Even when you think that you are liable for the accident or have not suffered serious injuries, do not leave the scene. You need to be there until an investigating officer arrives to investigate further.
- Don’t step back from calling the police. The other driver may tell you that they wish to settle the matter without getting law enforcement involved. That is a terrible idea. Regardless of the situation, always choose to inform the police.
- Don’t forget to note the essential details. From contact details and addresses of involved parties and witnesses to pictures of the number plates, your injuries, and road conditions, use your smartphone to record and note as much as possible.
- Don’t miss out on medical care. The sudden adrenaline rush may kick in after the crash, which means you will not feel as much pain. Always err on the side of caution regarding your treatment and medical care. Check with a doctor if you didn’t get emergency assistance.
- Don’t admit fault. The other party and insurance companies will want you to admit that the accident happened because of your action. No matter whether you are partly liable, do not say anything that could go against you.
- Don’t accept the insurance offer. The claims adjuster cares for the insurance company and not your injuries. Their proposal is unlikely to cover your losses, and it is best to let your injury lawyer deal with the negotiations.
There is no one approach for recovering compensation for car accident claims. It would help if you had a credible lawyer to advocate as you file the insurance claim. Also, your lawyer will be representing you at trial when required. The best lawyer and law firms in CT take a contingency fee, which makes it easier to seek legal advice and support throughout the process.