Thanks to Google, finding a list of law firms in your area doesn’t have to be complicated. However, don’t be quick in hiring a divorce attorney. No matter how simple the whole arrangement may seem, you will still need a lawyer. The role of a divorce attorney is to ensure that your rights and interests are protected, and you don’t end up making an expensive mistake. In Montreal, there are many known law firms, such as Ld-legal.com, which specialize in family law, and their attorneys are capable of handling any concern that you may have. In this post, we are sharing more on things to know when meeting a divorce attorney for the first time.
- Be transparent. Many people often hide facts from lawyers, only to deal with unwarranted situations later. Ensure that your divorce attorney knows exactly what the situation is like. Let them know about your and your spouse’s earnings, overall assets you both own, and how the finances are usually managed.
- Ask questions. As a client, you have every right to ask questions when you meet a divorce attorney for the first time. Some basic questions that you can ask include –
- How long have you been a divorce lawyer?
- Do you have experience of handling matters at trial?
- Will you represent the case?
- Will you be available to take calls?
- How will you share updates?
- Do you deal in child custody battles?
- Get a realistic overview. Your divorce attorney will help you understand what to realistically expect from the case. They will also get you know about alimony, possible outcomes, and other aspects that may impact the case. Also, do ask the attorney about their approach to the case.
- Know the expenses. As someone who is unaware of family law, it is wise to know the possible expenses in the case. Let your divorce attorney know what you can afford and if there is a way to keep the costs in check. Don’t shy away from asking about their fee, additional expenses that may need attention.
- Ask for references. You should always consider asking the divorce attorney for references. This is a significant factor because you want to be sure that the law firm you have selected is experienced enough, and more importantly, if they have adequate credibility in the industry.
Check online now to find more on law firms in Montreal and make sure to ask for a personal meeting, and not a telephonic one.